25 Random Things About Me
1. I can’t sleep in hotel rooms, especially when the mirror is opposite the bed like the one in this room. Mirrors scare me. I always worry I’ll see something in them I shouldn’t . Or not see something I should.
2. Even if I don’t use it, I always take the shampoo so they have to leave more the next day. And the tea and coffee.
3. I once stole a Bible from a hotel room. I don’t know why. I’m not religious, although I sort of wish I was sometimes.
4. I’ve been here for six hours and I still haven’t unpacked.
5. I’m supposed to be working on a presentation but all I’ve done since I got here is watch television. I’m just glad I don’t have to actually give the presentation – I’m terrible at public speaking. I just have to do the work and then one of the others will take the credit. That should probably bother me a lot more than it does.
6. I know the others went out tonight without inviting me. I don’t care. At least, that’s what I tell myself. I would go and see if they’re back yet but I don’t like walking down hotel corridors at night.
7. I’m worried I might lose my job. And I’m worried I might not. Something has to change. I can’t go on like this.
8. I didn’t want to come here. I’ve heard stories about this place. I know they’re silly and can’t possibly be true, but I still can’t help feeling apprehensive, like I’m not supposed to be here. Or perhaps it’s that this is exactly where I should be. I’m not sure which is worse.
9. Someone has been knocking on my door but I’m too scared to open it.
10. I’ve never liked hotels very much. I can never really relax – I always feel like I am being watched.
11. My boss only sent me here because he knew I would hate it and he likes to make people miserable.
12. I keep thinking I can hear someone calling my name.
13. Even though the knocking stopped a while ago, I know someone is standing outside my room.
14. I am going to open the door.
15. I called out, in case it was one of the others. No one answered, but I could sense a hand brushing against the door.
16. My hands shake when I’m scared.
17. I faint really easily, especially at the sight of blood.
18. I turned the heating up full but I’m still really really cold.
19. I wish I could sleep. I still have nightmares, and I sleep with a light on because I’m afraid of the dark.
20. I opened the door. There was a man outside. He looked strange. I knew he didn’t belong here.
21. I don’t belong here.
22. The man outside my room did not speak.
23. I’m too nice for my own good, that’s what people tell me. But I was brought up to be polite. Is that so wrong?
24. I invited the man in. He said it would be all right, that he was the right one. I know it was a mistake. I’m not sure what’s going to happen now. I feel very strange. I don’t think I’ll be going back to work. I’m starting to feel faint.
25. It will be all right. I can walk down corridors at night now. And I’m not scared of the dark anymore.